Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hairy Halloween

You might remember that last year I colored my hair and dressed as an emo. This year I took it one step further: I became an emo. Permanently. On the outside at least.

First of all: There is no Halloween in Germany. There always are some little kids who make brave attempts at pioneering, but that's it, really. Nobody trick or treated us, AT ALL.

So I spent the day with a friend from boarding school who came for the weekend and did lots of completely nonsensical things in order to keep my mind off the sad fact that I was missing out on one of the greatest achievements of the anglophone-world. We made it our goal to find every single LP-store in the city (and let me tell you: we found some pretty weird places); stalked a totally not-famous actor who looks like a younger version of Mick Jagger, looked for hippie equipment and hang out in communist sci-fi bookstores.

All in all, it worked pretty well. But when we found ourselves at the end of the day in front of a shelf with hair dye because she wanted to combine her 60s-outfit with a purple punk hairstyle, well, I just couldnt resist. I hadn't known it before, but at that moment I realized that the one-night-spray-paint from last year had started a great tradition of hair-dying on october 31st. So I bought a brown that was a little brighter than my actual hair. And fairly permanent.

2 hours later, when we had dyed'n dried each others hair, I had to realize that the hair color company had lied to me. The dye was really a lot DARKER than my natural hair. It even drowned out the purple I put into it. I look like a total emo/goth now. Like, seriously. Just that the rest of me doesnt match my hair. So now I'm considering restocking my eyeliner-supply.
On the plus side, i have discovered an hidden talent in me: Hairstylist -ing. I know, it sounds odd, since even so much as putting my hair into a ponytail puts me into distress, but just believe me: I'm very ok in cutting and coloring other people's hair. Which i did with my friend yesterday. I think i have found my calling: I should open an emo - hair saloon. With little bats and Marylin Manson posters as decoration.

I hope you all had a great Halloween!!
Madison, a toast on one year of knowing you!!

Lots of love,
emo-soph

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaah you could soo pull of emo-goth soph. stick some pics on facebook if you can. we miss you!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

*rolling eyes*
1. that's the second time in recent months i've heard a foreigner call a beauty parlor a "saloon"...one "o", pls! or else it means ur gonna run around selling hairy alcohol to emos...
2. ur hair's already almost black...is the dark brown really that noticable? u should send pics...

George said...

That sounds soo cool haha. We had a really weird halloween. it involved a parade of a pirate, a witch, a monk, mr sharpie, dr. jekyll, and bacon and eggs. and eating pizza with justin's wife. wish you could've been there!
and i totally want to see your hair too

Sophie said...

hey, I'm all for a hairy emo-bar with random shootings and bootlegged whiskey!
Your Halloween sounds amazing! how is justin and his growing family?