Sunday, July 6, 2008

Email from Sophie! (ignore bad spacing)

We went to plimoth plantation a couple if days ago and it was REALLY awesome. The have a rebuilt village and actors who dressand speak and act as if they were still in 1627. I discussed all theBritish monarchs up to Charles I ( who was king in '27) with mylesstandish!! You can imagine how exciting that was for me. My mom triedto marry me off to random pilgrims, which was pretty embarassing, butI fought it off with the argument that I can't cook. I knew that wouldbe good for something. After that we went to walden; it was amazing!The pond itself is so beautiful and clear that I jumped in. As much asthat was possible without underwear exposure. I got the jeans ofawesome pretty wet. Thoreau's cabinet was surprisingly comfortable andnice. He makes it seem so rebellious and radical to live there, butwhen you look at it, it seems much preferable to the usual 19thcentury houses with their few windows, low ceilings and creepywallpapers. Plus, it stood just a few feet from this beautiful lake!Considering that it was just a walk away from concord and that mommybrought him lunchpckets every weekend, Thoreau really seems more likean eccentric boy playing in his treehouse ansmd pretending he' s inthe jungle. So that was a slightly worldshattering morning. I totallygot over it by the evening though, when we got to a pretty little townat the ocean in Maine. We stayed in a beautiful Victorian inn. Then wewent to a beautiful little island near the coast of Maine. Thelandscape consists pretty much of huge fir forests, occasionalyinterrupted by lakes and the ocean. Everything here seeems to be madeup of dark green and blue. It's beautiful. I went pretty overboardwith taking pictures, the hotelowner even thought I was a professionalphotographer. You'll see, once I get home and put them on facebook. Iswam in a bay at sunset and the next day I went swimming in a lake. Itwas so much fun! Today we drove up to Vermont and are going to visitben&jerry's tomorrow or the day after. The we'll go to Boston - andthen home!! I doubt gibbson will be at the airport, but I'm stillvery excited to get to berlin.

No comments: