Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Going drag

I'm a drag queen!!!!!!!!!! well, I was. For Middle's culture fair, my theatre class had to prepare a scene from "Midsummernight's dream" about a group of xtremely bad actors who put a lovestory on stage. Guess who was the fair maiden. But at Shakespeare's times, women were played by men. Stupid patriarchal society.
So I had to play a very manly guy who eventually puts on a wig that seriously looked like it was once part of a broomstick, combined with one of the ugliest dresses I ever had to lie eyes on and a shawl that was probably already out of style when my grandma was in her teens. Plus I had to speak in a painfully high voice. It was absolutely AWFUL. And in front of half the school.
But in the end, it just rocked. I decided, most people would laugh at me anyway, so the only way out was to make them laugh at my character instead. So I put some serious effort in making it comical, and - amazingly- it worked. It still was pretty embarassing though.
Just felt like sharing that with you guys. Is there gonna be youthgroup tonight? If yes, could anyone give me a ride?

No comments: